Monday, February 14, 2011

Nothing Better

Winter is hard for many reasons, but one big reason for us is the shortage of good fruit. Now I love an apple as much as good old Johnny did, but the lack of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches...it's just so sad. Winter has one true redeeming quality and that is mandarin oranges. I am not talking about Cuties, or Clementines I am talking about the ones you buy at the asian markets, they still have their pretty little green leaves on them. They are delicious, sweet, juicy, and my kids can eat 2 lbs of them a day.

It is a good day when you walk into Costco and you see the big cartons of fresh, brightly colored fruit calling your name. For us that blessed day was last week. The strawberries and blueberries were enjoyed for a day and a half, and then bliss was over. I guess we are back to apples and oranges until our next Costco run.

1 comment:

Cass said...

So when I take Ella w/ me to the store, her "prize" is a $4 carton of blueberries or raspberries. I feel a little manipulative because I enjoy them too, but I'd so rather spend $4 on that than $2 on a stupid spinny sucker thing!